In order to complete your taxes, we need to get a look at some of your forms, particularly the ones that the government got copies of.
As you're entering your information, when you get to the "Uploads" section, that's where you're going to share those forms with us. Some of the common forms that people upload here are:
- Student Loan Interest Statements (1098-E)
- 1099-B, 1099-DIV, 1099-INT (these forms typically come from banks or brokerages where you're investing your money)
- Mortgage Interest Statements
- 1099-R (statements about money you've received or moved from your retirement account)
- 1099-K (statements from places like AirBnb, Lyft, Uber, Venmo, etc)
- K-1 forms (if you're a partner in a business or have a certain kind of trust)
- If you're a new client: we need a complete copy (i.e. all pages) of the previous year's return, both federal and state
Why do you say you don't want my 1099-MISC or 1099-NEC forms?
Most people who receive freelance income will get 1099-MISC or 1099-NEC statements from your clients (usually if they pay you $600 or more in a given year). But oftentimes people don't receive these forms on time or at all, or they get paid in other ways, like cash, check, Venmo, CashApp, etc. We don't need to see your 1099-MISC or 1099-NEC forms because we want you to do the math on your side for all the sources of your income and give us a total number on the "Freelance" tab.
In very rare instances, particularly if you have a 1099-MISC or 1099-NEC from California, the form might indicate that there are some state taxes being withheld. We do need to see the form if there's tax being withheld. Here's how to check for that:
- For 1099-MISCs: If there is a number in Box 4 or 16, upload it
- For 1099-NECs: If there is a number in Box 4 or 5, upload it
I don't have a scanner, what do I do?
Lay the forms down flat and snap a photo with your smartphone or camera and upload that. Just make sure it's not too blurry and you can read the numbers.
I've got a form that you didn't mention, what do I do with it?
When in doubt, upload it!
Still have questions? No worries, just email us at email@example.com