A limited liability company (LLC) is a business structure that protects its owners from being personally pursued for repayment of the company's debts and liabilities.
To create an LLC you will need to:
- Have a unique business name - you can search the NYS online database
- file articles of organization
- Submit the articles of organization along with the appropriate fee to the NY Department of state. This can be done by mail - or by filing online
New York Department of State, Division of Corporations
One Commerce Plaza
99 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12231
- Publish the articles of organization or a notice of the formation of most LLC's to be published in TWO newspapers for SIX consecutive weeks. The newspapers must be designated by the county clerk of the county office where the LLC is located. The publisher will provide you with an affidavit of publication.
- submit a certificate of publication with the affidavits to the department of state with the appropriate fee.
There are also services that can provide you with assistance through this process for a fee - New York Registered Agent Service, for example.
After creating your LLC, you will need to file for an Employer ID Number or EIN, which is done through the IRS (and can be done online).